CMFNL Semi-Final Football Review | Balranald, Nyah Nyah West mark upset wins in semis


BALRANALD broke Kerang’s unbeaten streak and in the process is first to the Central Murray FNL senior footy grand final after Saturday’s second semi-final.

The Kangaroos took on the reigning premier in the Radio 3SH-backed competition at Balranald’s Greenham Park.

The Kangaroos led 26-21 at quarter-time and then turned up the heat as it scored 5.1 to 2.3 in the second term.

Balranald’s lead was four goals at a quarter to play after it won the crucial third term, 23-20.

Inspired by the play of Matt Neagle, Kobe Lloyd and Harrison Soraggi it was Balranald which slammed on 5.5 to 1.3 in the last to complete a 115-65 victory.

The Kangaroos’ attack was led by Ben Fuller and Drew Lloyd on four goals as Jydon Neagle chipped in with three.

Also on target were Leyland Brougham and Matt Neagle on two, plus Colin Andrews and Seth Connell.

Multiple goalkickers for Kerang were Tyson Clingan, coach Troy Coates and Caleb Nitschke on two.

Other goalkickers for the Blues were Ryan Gillingham, Liam Jardine and Michael Runciman.

Best for Balranald included Ryan Middlebrook, Drew Lloyd and Ian Fuller.

Kerang’s best were Sean Hunter, Ryan Gillingham, Josh Hunter, Tyson Clingan, Nick Lang and Martin Kelly.

On Sunday it was Nyah Nyah West United which put Woorinen out of the premiership race as it scored a 97-66 victory at Barham.

The Demons fired up to lead 29-10 at quarter-time and 55-26 by the long break.

Woorinen hit back to win the third term, 27-20, but NNWU’s hot run of form kept rolling.

Gun recruit Hassan Ahmat-Watkins led the Demons’ attack on five goals as Brayden Bigham, Alex Erlandson and Jarrod Stokes added two.

Other goalkickers for NNWU were Charlie Boulton, Nic Threadgold and Joseph Violi.

Woorinen’s attack was led by Lachlan Gardner on three goals, and Danko Bzenic and Will Collicoat on two each.

Taylor Cameron and Mitchel Taylor were also on target.

Best for the Demons were Jarrod Stokes, Kayne Davidson, Ethan Saville, Campbell Everitt, Hassan Ahmat-Watkins and Matt Gibbs.

Jye Barry, Ben Booth, Mitchell Uhlhorn, Henry Thompson, Ben Hunt and Danko Bzenic were Woorinen’s best.

An eight-goal win by Kerang against Woorinen has put the Blues into the reserves grand final.

Kerang led 36-7 at half-time of Saturday’s second semi and did not let up.

The Blues won the next two quarters, 26-14 and 15-8 to record a 77-29 victory.

Alex Lloyd was in top form as he kicked five goals for Kerang.

Other goalkickers for the Blues were Cody Makeham, two; captain Jotham Higgs, Ethan and Jonah McKnight, and Peter Moore.

Jordy McInnes kicked two goals for Woorinen as Jack Atkin-Smith and Timothy Gammon added one each.

Kerang’s best were Cody Makeham, Cody Tuohey, Laine Harry, Nicholas Murray, Alex Lloyd and Rylee Gitsham.

Jake Butler, Adam Hendy, Kyle Steicke, Jack Atkin-Smith, Otto Conlan and Bailey Fry worked hard for the Tigers.

Woorinen will now face Lake Boga in the preliminary final.

Faced with a two-goal deficit at half-time of the first semi against Nyah Nyah West United, Lake Boga hit back to win the third term, 16-7.

Goalkicking accuracy was a key as the Magpies scored 6.1 to the NNWU Demons tally of 2.4 in the last to complete a 79-61 victory.

Lake Boga’s attack was led by Patrick Bryan on six goals and captain Shannon O’Reilly with three.

Other goalkickers for the Magpies were Byron Holt, two, and John Foskett.

The Demons’ leading goalkickers were Adrian Knee and Ben Sheridan with three.

Oliver Boulton and Liam White were also on target for the red and blue.

Lake Boga’s best were Patrick Bryan, Nelson Ibbs, Dylan McCosh, Shannon O’Reilly, Gary Goodes and Hunter Hartland.

Best for the Demons were Darcy Butler, Oliver Boulton, Tristan Dalbon, Cooper Charles, Cooper Andrews and Jason Manning.

In the Colts competition, Woorinen dominated the second semi against Kerang.

The Tigers roared to a 28-13 lead by quarter-time.

Kerang hit back to win the second, 19-10, but from there it was the yellow and black which controlled a lot of the play.

Woorinen scored 5.2 to 1.1 in the third.

Defences were on top in the last as the Tigers added 1.2 to a goal.

At the final siren Woorinen led 78-45.

Hugh Thompson kicked six goals for the Tigers as Otto Conlan, Xavier Johnson, Charlie King, Shaun Kirby and Adam Saunders added one.

Goalkickers for Kerang were Mason Dibsdale on three as Harry and Hugh Bremner, Bohden McKnight and Tyler Meehan chipped in with one each.

Best for Woorinen were Tahj Bolton, Shaun Kirby, Xavier Johnson, Otto Conlan, Charlie King and William Rush.

Cooper Meehan, Patrick Oliver, Lachlan Somerville, Hugh Bremner, Mason Dibsdale and Harry Bremner played well for the Blues.

A four-point win by Lake Boga against Swan Hill in the first semi kept the Magpies’ season alive.

Swan Hill led 19-9 at half-time and 27-18 by the last change.

In the final quarter it was Lake Boga which dominated a lot of the play to score 4.1 as the Swans added two goals.

Lake Boga clinched a 43-39 victory.

Goalkickers for the Magpies were Kai Everett on two as Ned Ayson, Charlie Bryan, Bodi Clune and Nicholas Taylor added one.

The Swans’ attack was led by Steven Polglase, two; Lane Cardenas, Shannon Polglase and Harry Scott.

Lake Boga’s best were Nicholas Taylor, Dustin Holmes, Parker Tonkin, Zac Palmer, Blaizeee Parsons and Willem Pye.

Wilhem Bennett, Jye Hogan, Jett Hinton, Harry Scott, Sonny Beasy and Koby McMillan played well for the Swans.

Lake Boga is first to the grand final of the Mildura Health Fund-sponsored under-14 ½ competition.

The Magpies swooped for a 54-37 win against Tooleybuc Manangatang in Saturday’s second semi.

The Saints from Tooleybuc Manangatang led 28-21 at half-time, but the Magpies fired up to win the third term, 20-8.

Led by the play of Lachlan Bull, Bryce Anderson and Max O’Reilly, Lake Boga kicked on  for a 17-point win.

The Magpies’ attack was led by Lachlan Bull, three goals, and Willem Holmes, two.

Other goalkickers for Lake Boga were Maximus Caruso, Connor Frazzica and Jarra Kelly.

The Saints’ goalkickers were Jude Atkinson, Connor Hazlett, Zachary Lehner, Rydar Morris and Jacob Zanker.

Lake Boga’s best included Willem Holmes, Bailey Ray and Maximus Caruso.

Julian Muir, Rydar Morris, Campbell Fisher, Connor Hazlett, Jedd Morris and Billy Kentish were best for a Tooleybuc Manangatang which will now play in a preliminary final.

The Saints’ opponent will be Kerang which scored 19-point against Swan Hill in the first semi.

Kerang led 15-7 at half-time and scored 3.1 to a goal in the third.

At the final siren the Blues led 35-16.

Goalkickers for Kerang were Mark Threlfall on two, and Declan Heffer, Flynn McKnight, Nicholas Oliver on one.

Samuel Brown and Finn Hufer goaled for the Swans.

Kerang’s best were Flynn McKnight, Mark Threlfall, Hugh Bremner, Ronarrian Dowdy, Nicholas Oliver and Seth Hall.

Lane Cardenas, Sam Scott, Kaedan Purcell, Noah Pearson, Jimmy Kelly and Finn Hufer played well for the Swans.

Schedule for Saturday’s footy preliminary finals at Tooleybuc Recreation Reserve:

Under-14 ½ at 9am: Tooleybuc Manangatang v Kerang.

Colts at 10.20am: Kerang v Lake Boga.

Reserves at 12.25pm: Woorinen v Lake Boga.

Seniors at 2.30pm: Kerang v Nyah Nyah West United.