About Our Journey
The Central Victoria Australian Football Commission Limited was born from the ‘Jackson Review’ undertaken into the Victorian country football environment challenges back in 2012. The motto from that review was ‘local people making local decisions’. Our Commission lives this motto.
Importantly our effective management and synergistic approach has meant that we have grown the region. Due to the collaborative efforts of the Commission, all Leagues and Umpiring bodies within our area are administered via our Regional Administration Centres (currently Bendigo & Swan Hill). Our region is geographically challenging, as we manage Leagues and Clubs from as far north as Hay in New South Wales and as far south as Gisborne, as far west as Donald and as far east as Colbinabbin. Our region has Clubs located in more than 10 local municipalities. The unique issues presented by our region remain the focus of the Commission to ensure decisions are made to enhance the growth of our great Australian game.
The Commission’s history of strong financial management, together with the support of AFL Victoria, means that we are able to employ the necessary resources to effectively manage and support the football netball leagues and clubs within our locations.
The Commission has further strategic aims to consider into the future;
- Aiming for the best competition structures for the future of our sport within our region
- Growing the Commission to include geographically compatible members
- Encouraging diversity of participants
- Development of dynamic volunteer bases for our stakeholders (the Commission, our leagues,
our clubs and our umpiring bodies)
- Support to provide strong governance practices for our members
We hope you would strive to be part of our future, as we aim to make a positive difference.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who encourages diversity within our organisation.
About the Opportunity
The AFL Central Vic Region Manager is the senior manager within the region and is primarily responsible for creating and managing a professional, high-performance environment that will enable the Commission’s strategic plan to be successfully implemented for the betterment of Australian Rules football and netball within the region.
The Region Manager (RM) shall focus on the establishment and optimisation of the overall business model for the AFL Central Vic Commission’s Region Administration Centre (RAC) including the responsibility for the day-to-day operational, commercial and financial activities. Currently the region has office locations in Bendigo and Swan Hill.
Serving as the primary spokesperson and representative of the Region Commission, in consultation with the Commission Chair, the RM will also execute key community football and netball projects, initiatives or other activities as directed from time to time by the Commission and AFL Victoria.
Key Focus Areas
- Identify and researching key issues impacting on community football and netball to develop appropriate responses, particularly relating to population growth areas or areas of
- Develop Male and Female League Competitions, Club and Umpiring group environments to
enhance the overall quality of community football through the delivery of accessible and
innovative training and education programs for volunteers.
- Proactively manage and grow all aspects of the AFL Central Vic Commission’s business to
achieve revenue growth, partnership development and drive increased through the media,
social media, online and other broadcast platforms.
- Manage the financial aspects of the business including the development of the annual
budget process including related revenue/expenditure forecasting.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with all member Leagues, Clubs and Umpiring Associations, AFL Victoria Country partners, local Councils, State Government
representatives and the various local media outlets and other community-based organisations.
Human Resource Management:
- Develop a high-performance culture for regional staff that reflects the Commission’s
direction whilst creating a harmonious and effective workplace.
Our Ideal Region Manager (Key Selection Criteria) will ideally have;
- A passion for community.
- Tertiary qualifications in sports management, business, law or finance or equivalent
- Experience at a leadership level in sports management, business, law and/or finance.
- Demonstrated leadership capability.
- Extensive experience in stakeholder relationship building involving local sporting clubs, community leagues, business, government and/or community groups.
- The ability to provide high level strategic and operational advice to the Commission.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- A detailed understanding and sound knowledge of governance best practices.
- Contemporary human resource management capabilities.
- Demonstrated organisational management capabilities.
- Developed IT skills.
- Experience in commercial partnership, sponsorship, marketing and/or sales management.
- An understanding of Australian Football networks in the Region and/or Country Victoria more generally.
- Current Police Check (relevant to AFL Central Vic).
- Current Working With Children Check.
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence
This is a full time, ongoing position. The Commission would provide a secure time based contract for the appropriate candidate. As we work within the entertainment industry, flexibility in hours is required with this position including evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Please download the Position Description.
Please submit your application, including addressing the Key Selection Criteria, by 5pm on Friday 8th October 2021.
Please forward your application by email to Nichloas Rolfe (AFL Central Vic Commission Chairman) at firstname.lastname@example.org