AFL Central Victoria welcomes the Victorian Government’s announcement that lockdown will lift in Regional Victoria from 11:59pm on Monday 9 August.
What this means for community football competitions and Auskick in Regional Victoria:
- Community sport is open for all ages, including training and competition.
- Only the minimum number of participants (players, coaches, referees, officials, and carers or parents) needed to train or compete are permitted to attend, subject to a density quotient of 1 person per 4 sqm.
- Spectators are not permitted (excludes people necessary for events such as teachers, instructors, trainers, coaches, umpires, carers, parents and guardians)
Independent leagues are ultimately responsible for determining the approach they will take regarding how COVID-related interruptions impact their seasons, and will communicate details with their stakeholders.
Lockdown remains in place in metropolitan Melbourne.
AFL Central Victoria will continue to be guided by the Victorian Government and health authorities.
It is great that football is back in Regional Victoria and tens of thousands of players are able to get back onto the field, but not having spectators allowed does create challenges. AFL Central Victoria will continue to work closely with the government and health authorities to advocate for what community football needs, while the health and safety of the community remains a priority.
We will update stakeholders with further information regarding restrictions and protocols for community football and Auskick, when available. This includes Return to Play documents, which will be updated once the State Government has updated the protocols.
Latest materials and information from the Victorian Government:
- The latest statement from the Victorian Premier can be viewed here: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/lockdown-lift-regional-victoria
- For the Victorian Government’s updated table of restrictions, go to: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-08/210809%20-%20Restriction%20Changes.pdf
TAC Road Safety Round
With the TAC Road Safety Round unable to go ahead on the weekend of August 6 -8, regional clubs are encouraged to don the blue armbands over the coming weekend. All metro clubs are invited to band together and wear the armbands before the end of the 2021 season when they get back on the field. More information regarding the TAC Club Rewards program and application extensions will be updated here.