BFNL Week 1 Football Finals Review | Hawks, Square triumph as footy finals kick off


EAGLEHAWK and Golden Square were victorious in the weekend’s start to the footy finals in the Bendigo Bank Bendigo FNL season.

The Hawks stayed in the premiership race by beating South Bendigo in Sunday’s elimination final at Queen Elizabeth Oval.

In the home-and-away series Eaglehawk had beaten South Bendigo both times.

Despite its wayward kicking at goal, Eaglehawk was too strong as it ended the Bloods’ run in ’23.

The Travis Matheson-coached Eaglehawk led 45-31 at half-time and then scored 4.9 to 2.2 in the third quarter.

Key forward Darcy Richards made a welcome return for the Borough and finished with a match-high four goals in a 14.20 (104) to 10.11 (71) victory.

Other multiple goalkickers for the Hawks were co-captains Billy Evans and Cameron McGlashan on two and Jack O’Shannessy also booted two majors.

The Bloods were kept in check by a tight-knit Borough defence.

The skilful Brock Harvey was South Bendigo’s only multiple goalkicker on two.

Eaglehawk’s best were Billy Evans, Clayton Holmes, Joel Mullen, Dylan Hanley, Oscar Madden and Dillon Williams.

Best for the Bloods were Mac Cameron, Oscar White, Brody Haddow, Braydan Torpey, Will Keck and coach Nathan Horbury.

Eaglehawk will now meet Strathfieldsaye in next Sunday’s first semi-final.

Storm will be desperate to minimise the skill errors following a 26-point loss to Golden Square in Saturday’s qualifying final.

Whether it was real or perceived pressure, Strathfieldsaye made a lot of mistakes on which Golden Square capitalised.

It was a brilliant start to the contest by the Christian Carter-coached Bulldogs as they scored 6.3 to 2.4 in the first term.

Storm worked hard to be within 16 points at the 22-minute of the second term, but a hat-trick of goals gave Golden Square a 35-point by the long break.

With wingman Tom Strauch, Jack Hickman and backman Jon Coe winning plenty of the footy, Golden Square won the third term, 15-14.

Storm did lift to outscore the Dogs in the last, 21-11, but it was Golden Square which marked an 87-61 victory and moved to a second semi-final showdown with Sandhurst.

Joel Brett led the Dogs’ attack on fur goals as Tom Toma kicked two.

Multiple goalkickers for Strathfieldsaye were Jed Brereton and co-captains Jake Moorhead and Lachlan Sharp with two.

The Bulldogs’ best included ruckman Matt Compston, Ryan Hartley and Jack Threlfall.

Mitch Hallinan, Matt Harvey, Callum McCarty, Jake Moorhead, Daniel Clohesy and Tim Hosking were Strathfieldsaye’s best.

In the Harmac Homes reserves competition it was big wins for Sandhurst in the qualifying final, and Strathfieldsaye in the elimination final.

On Saturday, Sandhurst took on Golden Square.

The Dragons dominated the opening half.

Sandhurst led 19-1 at quarter-time and then scored 4.3 to just two behinds in the second for a 46-3 lead by the long break.

The next two quarters were evenly fought, but went Sandhurst’s way, 20-12 and 15-13.

Connor Sexton kicked three goals and nine team-mates chipped in with a goal as Sandhurst won 12.9 (81) to 4.4 (28).

Best for the Dragons were Harrison Monk, Lachlan Zimmer, Brodie Montague, Harrison Free, Martin Leyden and Campbell Rowland.

Dale Lowry, Liam Thomas, Tanner Rayner, Mitch Knox, Mitch Treacy and Jack Vinnicombe were Golden Square’s best.

The Dragons take on Eaglehawk in next Saturday’s second semi-final.

Strathfieldsaye faced Gisborne in Sunday’s elimination final.

Storm led 27-9 at half-time and the pressure did not let up as it won the next two quarters, 21-8 and 27-12.

Jordan Wilson kicked three goals as Lachlan Bonney, Ethan Featherby and Edward Hayes added two each in an 11.9 (75) to 4.5 (29) result.

Gisborne’s attack was led by Hayden Doricic on two.

Best for Storm were Joseph Mayes, Darcy Mulquiny, Lachlan Bonney, Ed Hayes, Carson James and Charles Dole.

Jarrad Lynch, Leon Thiner, Matthew Jinkins, Boyd Nalder, Sean Merrett and Harry Manders worked hard for Gisborne.

In the SportsPower-backed under-18s competition, Maryborough won the elimination final against Strathfieldsaye by 25 points.

The Magpies led 21-15 at half-time and 35-22 at a quarter to play.

In the last, Maryborough scored 4.1 to 2.1 to complete a 60-35 victory.

Taj Bond and Kaian Constable kicked three goals for the Magpies.

Storm’s attack was led by Jaidi Jackson-Leahy with two goals.

Best for Maryborough were Lachlan Bursill, Kaian Constable, Lucas Hurse, Damon Nitschke, Tom Myers and Tyson Hoban.

Jaidi Jackson-Leahy, Lincoln McKern, Hugh Behrens, Zac Grieve, Declan Lowther and Evan Cole played well for Strathfieldsaye.

The Magpies will now tackle Sandhurst in the first semi.

First-up this finals series were Gisborne and Sandhurst in Saturday’s under-18s qualifying final.

Despite its inaccurate kicking, Gisborne was well in control as it led 3.10 (28) to 1.3 (9) at half-time.

The Bulldogs won the third, 19-7, and then added 3.5 to a goal in the last for a 70-22 victory.

Ed Williams kicked three goals and Jarrod Ainsworth added two majors for Gisborne.

Dragons’ captain Alex Carr kicked two goals.

Best for Gisborne were Jarrod Ainsworth, Ed Williams, Frankie Ellis, Lachlan Evans, Jack Long and Kane Minns.

Jack English, Wil Pinniger, Deakin Andrews, Declan Delaney, Daniel Noden and Declan Stevenson were Sandhurst’s best.

The win put Gisborne into a second semi-final clash with Golden Square.

Schedule for Saturday’s second semi-finals:

Under-18s at 10.15am: Golden Square v Gisborne.

Reserves at 12.15pm: Eaglehawk v Sandhurst.

Seniors at 2.20pm: Sandhurst v Golden Square.

Schedule for Sunday’s first semi-finals:

Under-18s at 10.15am: Sandhurst v Maryborough.

Reserves at 12.15pm: Golden Square v Strathfieldsaye.

Seniors at 2.20pm: Strathfieldsaye v Eaglehawk.